Saturday, February 23, 2008

it's all in the details

1. gesso 3 layers.
2. paint on watercolor.
3. coarse sand.
4. gesso 2 layers.
5. paint on watercolor.
6. coarse sand.
7. gesso another layer.
8. paint on watercolor.
9. coarse sand.
10. fine sand.

below you will note some various detail shots of the pages in the journal!







this last photo is a process shot. i am embellishing/altering some plastic keychains maralena sent to me. the trick is, i painted both sides, and was stuck sitting there holding it. then i used that thinkin' brain and came up with a paintbrush and a cup drying rack. which, you know, worked real well until i took the one off the short side and the other ones fell off. tee hee.

4 comments:

mcdc3s said...

I am so glad you posted the details of the process and I am going to be sure to give the same steps a go in both our journals too!

There was so much work you put into these pages. I can't wait to touch them. I bet they feel like silken suede!

I am so pleased you figured out how to make the keychains work for you! I knew if anyone could do it - it would be you. LOL

nicci said...

then do feel pretty luscious! i think you will like the technique. it's fun to 'age' stuff but still have it be fruity bright colors.

i am not sure if the keychains will hold up to abuse yet! i have to do some detail work, then varnish the heck out of 'em or maybe clear embossing hmmmm. they would certainly work for embellishments, but i think being used with keys would tear them up.

mcdc3s said...

Oh yea... I would NOT be using them for keys! I would keep them to hang only. And my granddaughters boyfriends (the collector) would only be for looks too.

nicci said...

oh well, then... i guess i will have to finish some up and send them your way! *grin*

as long as they're hanging, i don't have to worry about super flexible varnish or anything like that!