Thursday, February 21, 2008

revision + 1 more so far!

as you can see, i went back and worked on the third spread of pages. there was just something missing, and i wasn't ready to send it off to maralena without another couple of layers of color. on the left, i added 2 more layers of color, some sharpie, and a little gesso painted heart. on the right, i added several more colors, as well as an ATC with a blue background, edged with textured aluminum. i'll have to take some details soon, so you can really see the finish.





these pages feel really wonderfully thick from several layers of gesso on each side, plus the paper! the paper is pretty thick anyway. there's between 4-6 layers of gesso on each side of every page + the paper itself. kind of plastic-y, but without being sticky, since it's watercolored and sanded. you'd have to feel it to really get the picture.

i am awaiting maralena's package in the mail, which has my journal in. i will switch out that journal and send her this journal when it arrives! well, as soon as i can get to the post office. so i think i will have a couple more days to work on these pages. i have a few more sets prepared for color.

3 comments:

mcdc3s said...

Oh I can't wait to see this! It looks great and sounds like heaven to touch... (haha, isn't that a song?)

Your just to good to be true...
Can't take my eyes off of you...
You'ed be like heaven to touch...
I want to hold you so much...
At long last my journal has arrived....
And I thank God I'm alive...
Your just too good to be true...
Can't take my eyes off of you...

LOL

Enough of that.

I can't wait to try this technique when I get your journal back.

mcdc3s said...

I was looking at the aluminum edging again. I know I've seen you do this on other pages too. I have some heavy aluminum (pipe tape) and I am going to experiment on that too. I'll look around and see if I can find something interesting to texture the tape with - crimping wise.

nicci said...

hehhehehe.

oh, the edging is just aluminum tape from any old hardware store or Harbor Freight Tools. it's mega cheap!

i have been trying to get my hands on some that is printed with text on it, but i couldn't find any =/. all i have is the plain stuff.

to texture mine, i usually use small metal tools from a scrapbook/stamp store (i have one), and i have a pen that a ball popped out of that i use for drawing, too.