Monday, February 25, 2008

of gesso + gel pens

i prepped this first set of pages here with gesso (many layers!) and some page bits ripped from my favorite old dictionary, which has contributed to many an art project in the last couple of years!

it's still got a very rough surface, so it's ready to accept any medium maralena decides to use, be it paint or conte crayon or collage!

i doodles some things, made up a little story about fish, and the last set of pages i started at Outback Steakhouse when i went for a family dinner. they were much amused to see me show up with a sketchbook and a box of pens. i asked my niece to help me (Danielle) and she started a page, but got thoroughly distracted by the cheese fries. kids today! ;)






my entry on the left here was done with sigma pens: pigma micron and gelly roll glaze. i heart these pens! a couple small accents are done with other types, and i went to the evil den of evil craft supply (nasty corporate empire), and picked up opaque white, black, and a set of metallic gel ink. i need a Dick Blick nearby. it pains me to give that craptastic hole of a craft store money!

we shall speak of it no more!

so anyway, my favorite part about these pages are the blue lips. i drew the whole thing freehand in about 20 seconds (of course it took longer to color in). that's always fun. it's a little distorted, but that makes it more interesting!

oh, yeah. regular rough gesso surfaces seem to sort of clog the gel pens. suck.

5 comments:

mcdc3s said...

Oh I am going to have a ball with these pages! I love those LIPS! These pages (all of them) are going to be so much fun to work on. I can't wait to get my hands on it. The gloss of those lips are outstanding!

Today: In Seven said...

I came upon your blog through blogger and I have to say that it is very intriguing. I find the art and creativity lovely. Keep it up.

mcdc3s said...

Don't worry... you will get your fill of Dick Blick this summer!

nicci said...

the other journal is calling to me.

i have to get yours finished up and in the mail to you =>

nicci said...

cc:
thank you! =)
we appreciate you coming by to check our out blog.
nicci