Friday, March 7, 2008

sneak peek

i did a lot of work on the sketchbook (mine) the last 2 days, but i am too wiped right now to post it all. i chose an image from one of my favorite works in progress... this is a few steps back, though.

first i layered a bunch of ripped out pieces of dictionary on this page with gesso (ir already had about 3 dry coats), and then did another coat on top. when it was dry, i used a square punch to punch out two squares through the page.

i pulled out some old photos (from 2004). these are black and white proof prints of some images i took of my nieces, Brittani and Bianca. i cut them down to about an inch over the size of the window, and sanded the edges to be sure the glue would stick really well to them, and glued them to the back of the page, with the image showing through. i also taped the back to be sure they wouldn't slide around as they were drying, and did 2 coats of gesso over the back so i can also draw over them.



after flipping the page the right way to view the images, i edged with aluminum tape, and used a metal roller to put the 'stitch' impressions in. i also drew directly on the images with those sakura gelly roll metallic pens to add some color.

the text is from my (sadly) broken dymo label maker. it's the cheapest one... i don't know how well the more expensive ones last. this one has trouble punching certain letters, and the cutter has ceased to function.

recognize the song the words themselves are from?

2 comments:

mcdc3s said...

Donna would be proud!

I love the spread. I can't wait to see the photos with the hand color. I have been busting my tail too... and have also done a couple new spreads... but it is 3 AM and I am exhausted! I'll have to post them over the weekend.

nicci said...

*grins*

when the server stops giving errors, we'll upload upload upload!

i am having too much fun with this journal. and pasting in a ton of photos of my nieces.