Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Three heavy texture spreads...


I had been working on these for a few days. There are multiple layers of Gesso to begin with on all three spreads. I got a little wiser in my sanding process and now wrap strips of sanding paper around a heavy balled up terry cloth to keep more control. I am doing some pretty rough sanding! On these spreads - I added acrylic paint - which, when hard - makes it a bit harder to sand than if using the water color or the neopastels. For the most part I kept the acrylics to a single layer. Still adding handmade paper for texture between the layers of gesso and color... for strength. I'm glad to take Nicci's hint in going heavy (the chunky book queen). I've never done such intense work in a single project before and can see that in the long run - the sturdiness will be a good thing.


I am in love with the softness of these pages and how they turned out. They are like little sheets of suede. They feel wonderful... and I love the colors. I have not decided what I am going to do on them yet... and who knows what Nicci will do!








Posted by: Maralena

2 comments:

nicci said...

i am interested to see how the acrylic and other papers worked into this layering process! sounds like you are getting into it. *grin*

it'll be fun to see where these layers go in the future, as the sketchbooks travel back and forth.

mcdc3s said...

The acrylic is very pretty... but tough to sand. Look at the bright orange... and you will see what I mean. It's bold... but harder to scratch though with the sanding.

I agree. I can't wait to see the directions they go. xx